Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Recent Purchases #4 - In which I travel halfway across the country

OK, before you go thinking I'm absolutely crazy and went halfway across Scotland to look for games, nope..thats not the case. I just happened to have to go on a bit of a wild goose chase...so to speak.

So here are some of the games I picked up recently, as well as a bit of a rant. A month ago, I had been at the dentist for a routine checkup and an appointment with the hygienist they have at the practice as well. Everything was fine apart from the fact that I had a bit of minor gum disease again, gingivitis I think it is called. It is the early stage which can be treated and if kept at this stage of things, it isn't too serious. Still, I am paranoid about losing my teeth So I was told to brush my teeth more effectively and use a daily mouthwash that they sold me for a month, and then come back for an appointment after the course of mouthwash to see how things were. These appointments with the hygienist usually last about 10 or 15 mins at most. 

Our dentist is a friend of my mum's, they have known each other since school I think. They came from the same area up north and knew each other ever since, so we still go to this dentist now. Makes sense, even when you take into account the fact that we live in Edinburgh, and the dentist is located a bit further north, near Perth. I've put in a map for those who don't know Scotland well.


So anyway, my appointment today was sometime between 11 and 12 ( I could'nt remember) so I got up at around 7ish, aiming to get up north for 11, got a train from Edinburgh at 9:03 which went via Falkirk and stirling (where I had to change train) and eventually on to Perth. There, I got a bus up to Scone, where the practice is. So around 2 hours to get up there in total, a bit more than that. Anyway, I get there and they tell me my appointment is next Wednesday, on the 27th. -_- Argh...I felt like such an idiot. So frustrating! They were also fully booked so couldn't see me today either, apparantely. The appointment only takes about 5 mins! 

So, I gotta go back next week now. Such a hassle...

Anyway, onto the more interesting, less frustrating part. I decided to just have a look round the shops in Perth, in fact, just Gamestation and Game to see if there were any games for cheap. I had said to myself that I wouldn't buy any games until Mass Effect 2 comes out at the end of the month, as I've got a lot to get through, and I would be spending a bit more than usual, because I'll be getting the collector's edition of the game.

However, I couldn't resist the temptation when I had a look in the game stores.

First thing I saw, it seemed to jump out at me, was God of War (PS2) (black box, not the platinum version). I had considered waiting for the God of War collection on the PS3, but a) I don't know when I will get the console (although I have a feeling it will be some time before FFXIII comes out, or when it does.) and b) God of War Collection isn't out in the UK yet. But for value, I was really tempted to get this now, as it was in the Preowned 3 for £10 deal in Gamestation, which seemed like awesome value. I checked the price of the black box versions when I finally got back here today, and was surprised, on amazon it is £50! =D

The other games I got in the 3 for £10 were Castlevania: Curse of Darkness (PS2) and Beyond Good and Evil (PS2), both preowned. I knew that Curse of Darkness was different from the metroidvania and 2D platformer outings of the series I love, it is 3D and slightly more action adventure-ish, but thought I'd take this chance to add another Castlevania title to my collection. Its one of those games that I really don't see often in my area, and when I do, it is around £15, so based on that, I thought I had to get it. It has amazing art as well, with such a cool cover, check it left/below.


Beyond Good and Evil, I remember hearing great things about the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube game for a while now. 

It apparantely didn't sell massive numbers, but its got quite a cult following, and I've heard some things about a sequel, but I'm not too sure if it will be coming out, or whether it is on hold at the moment. Its an action-adventure game, which I don't have many of, but do like them from time to time. I'm intrigued to see what this will be like, and the other games I bought today.

I almost forgot about the last game, which is Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice (PS3). I don't actually own a PS3, so why did I buy this? I LOVE the Disgaea series, or what I have played of it (which is the first one, on the PSP.) I got this for when I eventually do get a PS3, I was very tempted to get one today as well as this game, as there were some good bundle deals-like a 250 Gb PS3 slim, with Uncharted 2 and Infamous for £285 or so. 

Anyway, there is so much to do in the Disgaea games in terms of gameplay, customisation and replayability options. I like the quirky, zany humour as well. Reviews have shown that while this one isn't perhaps as good as the first, it is still solid. More of the same as the first 2 essentially. For the good price that they had in Gamestation, £12.99 preowned, I felt like picking it up now as I've seen it in shops for £15+ and on amazon for around £30 or so.

Anyway, thats about it for now. I'm working on a review of Final Fantasy VI Advance, not sure when I'll have that done...maybe before the weekend but probably not.

Oh, and check this out. Collector's edition Final Fantasy XIII will be coming out, hopefully. It looks like leaked details. Hopefully we do get that, because the 'freebies' (nothing is free) look quite enticing! =p

2 comments:

Dark Magician said...

Aw man I can't believe you didn't check what date your appointment was one >.<"

Berserk_Alucard said...

I know, its really stupid of me... but I had it down in my mind as this Wednesday. Cos when the secretary or whatever you call the person at the desk was giving me the appointment, she said it would be in a month, as the hygienist had told me to come back after the mouthwash period of a month was over.

I didn't write it down, or if I did, I forgot about it because there was no doubt in my mind... So frustrating that I went all the way up there to find that out. In future I'm gonna try be more organised.