Monday, March 8, 2010

Now Playing – “ I'm sweating like a hooker in church!“

I got a PS3 the other day to make sure I could play Final Fantasy XIII when it arrives. I preordered the PS3 version a while back when I heard about some of the differences, but I'm not exactly sure which is the better version, or even if there are many differences. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3) was the game I chose to come with the console bundle, and I'm glad I finally got to play it, even if I haven't played the first game much. I might pick it up if I can see it cheap, but I heard it doesn't do a few things as well as it's sequel. 

I got to say, this game is really intense. It is so addictive, I played it through from start to finish, as well as some of the multiplayer all in a day and a half or so. I like how dynamic some of the platforming bits are, like when you are climbing up the train as it hangs off the cliff, and bits of it are falling off and the whole stage moves as you go. I didn't think I would like the game as much as I did, but I was really pleasantly surprised. It looks amazing, especially on the HDMI cable I've got plugged in.

I've got Disgaea 3 as well on the PS3, but I want to wait till I play FFXIII and probably the 2nd Disgaea game before I go onto it, so I downloaded one of the games I had my eye on for a while, since before I had a PS3. Flower (PSN) is a cheap downloadable title on the PSN, and it is a really unique game, where you take control of the winds, and blow petals around a drab grey environment, bring flowers into bloom and colour to the world. Sounds...not as good as it is. Try it out, its only around £6 and it has received a lot of awards.  

Golden Sun (GBA) I had wanted to go through this game again, and had started it up last week, got about 4 or 5 hours in, only to find that my data deleted itself for some reason. I'm not sure if its due to a problem with the cart, or my original DS...which kind of sucks considering I want to transfer some data onto the 2nd game. So I dropped this game after those shenanigans. I don't want to get to the end of the game only to find the game decides to shaft me once again.

When I was away over the weekend, I played some more of Dissidia: Final Fantasy (PSP) trying to get some more characters to lv 100, and work on items for the shop completion. I've got my Cloud of Darkness to 100 now, and my friend got the FAAAAAABULOUS Emperor to around lv 90 in a few battles by doing the Exdeath 'exploit.' 

I'd heard good things about Beyond Good and Evil (PS2), so started it up the other day. I'm a few hours in and it seems to have a lot of atmosphere, but its yet to hook me in. Gonna try play some more as I think the story is starting to pick up. I like the photography side of things, as it seems well integrated into the game.

Perhaps best of all, I got to play a little bit of Final Fantasy XIII (360) on Saturday at D-Con, a free anime/art convention I was at over the weekend. Graphically, it looks really nice. Some of the character designs are very nicely done. The technology for the hair was one thing that really jumped out at me. The battle system was something that could take some getting used to. Its very dynamic, the characters are always moving, and you can move the camera to some degree. In the 10 or 15 mins I had with the game, as well as what I saw from other people playing it, I couldn't exactly tell if it was nearer to a turn based or action type battle system. It looks like there are charge up times similar to FFIV, like some kind of ATB mechanic. Some people have already receieved their preorder copies, which I am annoyed at..mine has been shipped according to Amazon, I'm really looking forward to playing it.

No comments: