Sunday, March 21, 2010

Now Playing - "must resist emo urges"

Sunday once more, time for some musings on the vidya games I've been playing this week. (Only its not Sunday anymore...I failed by a half hour or so. Tempus Fugit...)


I've been putting a fair chunk of time into Final Fantasy XIII on the PS3, I'm pretty far through now, to the point where it has opened up a bit and I have the chance to grind and do side quests. So it has grown on me a bit, but I reckon that is just because I have the opportunity to do some rather tedious grinding, probably partly due to the story as well. The story is pretty good, but not brilliant so far at least. The battle system is fun at times, but a lot of the time I feel pressured into hammering X to finish battles as quickly as possible with the auto-battle option to get 5* ratings to recoup some TP. Bit too 'arcadey' was one of my first impressions of the battle system and a bit too simplified. Its good, definitely but not one of my favourite battle systems. 


Overall, I think the game has grown on me a bit since the start, but I still reckon it is quite an average game. Even though it looks brilliant and has a pretty good story and battle system, the limitations, linearity early on and the characters, none of which I particularly like kinda kill the game for me.

 


I also joined up with rpgamer606's RPG-a-thon  on the backloggery. Have a look here. Since I love RPGs and that seems to be the genre I play most of the time, I thought I'd try get through a bunch of my titles as part of this.



I decided on a list of 10 at first, and then wanted to include FFXIII in it since I was enjoying the open nature of the part I was at, so upped it to 13 games, which are below. I'm considering adding or replacing some titles as I'll be going on holiday in a couple months, so might put some more DS or at least portable games on there, cos I'll have some long journeys getting there and back.

rpgamer606's RPG-a-thon

Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor (DS)
Mass Effect 2 (360)
Vagrant Story (PS1)
Jeanne D'arc (PSP)
Dragon Warrior Monsters (GB)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox)
Kingdom Hearts II (PS2)
Yggdra Union: We'll Never Fight Alone (GBA)
Star Ocean: Till the end of Time (PS2)
Planescape Torment (PC)
Breath of Fire III (PSP)
 The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (360)

How did I pick em? I just tried to have some short, some with more length to them, cover as many of the RPG subgenres as possible and cover as many developers as I could in the selection. Some of them are games I've wanted to play for a while now, hopefully I can have some fun with some of them. 

So I've started up Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor (DS) and got a couple hours in so far. It feels very SMT so far, and quite like The World Ends With You and Death Note. I'm definitely enjoying it so far. It looks to have quite a bit of depth to the Demon Auction and Cathedral of Shadows (liking that name) which let you bid on new pokemon style party members (only not so cute for the most part) and fuse new species if you so desire ...

OMG...I had loads more stuff written here, blogger thought it would be funny when I hit publish to give me an error message and chop the end off. Nice one.. ¬_¬

No comments: